Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Beauty of Being Created in God's Image

Hi Everyone!

Before I start, I just want to thank you all for actually reading my blog. I really appreciate that you take time out of your week to do so!

Anyway...this week I read an article about the fashion of Jewish women throughout the 18th-20th century. There is a new exhibit being featured in the Israel Museum (which I highly recommend visiting) that focuses on the dress code of Jewish women.

Looking at trends in "fashion history" through various religions, I find it very interesting that, especially in Judaism, a religion which praises God for making us in his image, we hide our bodies. Through veils and burkahs both Jewish and Muslim women cover their faces, bodies, and figure. We see this progress throughout history.

Zooming in on this topic of beauty, I learned that Muslim women actually cover their bodies because they are so beautiful. From what I understand, please feel free to correct me, other men aren't worthy of the beauty the women radiate. A radiance that God gave to them. I think that this is simply wonderful.

For thousands of years Jews have been modest. When the Greeks came strolling in with their "beauty is holy" Hellenism, we recognized that it went against Jewish morals. I disagree, respectfully, of course.

One of our daily blessings is thanking God for creating us in his image. Therefore, even if you don't love your body because of the way it compares to others, shouldn't you love it because God gave it you?

As Jews, we appreciate God's creations. I have always thought of his creations beautiful, thus, the human body is beautiful. I'm not saying we should walk around naked all the time...it would be very cold...but we also don't need to cover our literal God-given beauty.

Growing up, through literature or history, we often saw hiding as shame or cowardliness.To me, hiding your body coincides with ashamed of your body. Your body is not only beautiful in a 21st century sense, but in the sense that it was created in the image of God! Be proud of that! Own your beauty! And really appreciate what God gave you, never be ashamed.

Just something that's been on my mind recently.

Shabbat Shalom! Have a great weekend!
Shoshana :)

1 comment:

  1. Regarding Hellenism and bodies; I think you mean that you disagree respectfully.

    ReplyDelete