Sunday, March 9, 2014

Toilet Paper

Hey everyone!

I hope you all had a great weekend!

I learned something new this weekend: on Kibbutz Tzuba, where I'm currently residing, the toilet paper is thin, small sheets. It's not a roll, but rather rectangular sheets of a very inadequate size. The reason for this is so that no one staying at the Kibbutz would have to tear or rip toilet paper on Shabbat. Ripping and tearing on Shabbat is prohibited. Can we just let that sink in for a second? I'm staying at a place that makes sure that their utilities don't break Jewish Law. Cause I'm in a Jewish State! THE Jewish State!!!

My mind was a little blown. I always knew that Israel was a Jewish State, but I never really grasped it until today. Just to clarify, not every hotel or facility offers "no-rip TP" but many do. I'm not a super huge fan of it, but that's just because I am an avid nose blower and these sheets aren't super soft. BUT on the bright side, it's one more commandment that I'll be following on Shabbat!

It's just so amazing to me that a state bases its supplies and resources around a religion, my religion. Obviously this brings up many problems, especially because Israel is supposed to be democratic. But I'm sure I'll get to that topic another time.

That's all for today, I was just really psyched about it and wanted to share.

Have a good week!
Shoshana Kaplan

No comments:

Post a Comment