Saturday, May 10, 2014

HAPPY BDAY ISRAEL

Hey guys!

In the middle of last week, Israel celebrated her 66th birthday. So let me take a moment to say “HAPPY 
BIRTHDAY ISRAEL!!”

To celebrate this AWESOME day, we went to Ben Yehudah Street, which is commonly a very touristy area filled with Americans. However, that night, Israelis took over the streets with inflatable hammers with Israeli flags painted on them (displayed below). They go around bopping people on the head. Which my parents warned me about, as it was a tradition 20 years ago as well. They failed to mention, though, the cans of soapy-foamy bottles that they spray at you. Don’t worry, it didn’t stain J

It was such a great experience. We got there and it was beyond crowded. Worse than Disneyworld on spring break and a Backstreet Boys reunion concert…combined. But like I said, it’s a touristy place. My friends wanted to go around and find presents for their friends and family. Going to just a store one block down took half an hour because it was so crowded.

I really didn’t understand why we were spending so much damn time looking for presents, ignoring the flourishing culture around us, in a place that we were definitely coming back to! (To prove my point, we went again last night)

So after wasting an hour brushing through drunk Israelis and American tourists, I found my way to a concert that was just smack in the middle of Ben Yehudah. Literally there was a fenced concert in the middle of the street, with sweaty teens (and old people) dancing everywhere. It was so cool!!!!

I stayed in the concert and simpy enjoyed myself. I was really able to enjoy and focus on the culture instead of racing and racing to get a Mezuzah for great aunt Sally. Sorry Sally. 

But everyone was able to relax and appreciate the culture enjoyed themselves so much more. It's these kinds of things that make me scream "I'M IN ISRAEL!!" It's just so awesome. I can't explain it farther.

Again, Happy birthday Israel, you’ve made it farther than a lot of people would have thought.

Shoshana J

No comments:

Post a Comment