Thursday, May 15, 2014

Israel at Home

Good afternoon everyone!

Earlier this week, my teacher sent us a question to ponder in this week's blog. He wanted us to think about what role Israel will play in our lives when we get home (in 2 weeks). My first response was, "...but I am home"

Thinking about this is beyond scary. One, it means that I won't be in Israel soon, two, it means that I'm going home with no knowledge of when I'm returning, and three, it means that I actually have to put my new knowledge of Jewish History to use in defending Israel.

Before I came here, when I got into debates about the legitimacy of Israel, I was that annoying girl who just screamed that I was right and we deserved Israel...with no facts or support.

Now I have so much information. I know why we left the Land of Israel, where we went, why we went where we did, how we returned, why we returned, where we returned. I gained perspective on the Palestinian side as well. With all of this new knowledge, I can go back and argue with my peers. I can defend this amazing country. I won't stand there, without an answer, yelling back random things.

As well as defending and supporting the Jewish State, I will promote it to other Jews. I plan on participating and leading an Israel connection committee at my Temple. I will be sure to lead a program at the JCC during Yom Haatzmaut next year. Yom Haatmaut for us is amazing. Everyone goes to celebrate and have fun. But I dont think that everyone realizes the true awesomeness of Israel's birthday and I want to help them see that awesomeness.

As well, teaching and continuing to learn about Israel will always help me remember the incredible memories I've made here.

Shabbat Shalom!
Shoshana :)


2 comments:

  1. I felt the exact same way when I first read the question. I didn't really know how to answer it for a long time because I felt that I already was home and how much I didn't want to go back to America because I didn't want to have to make an effort to make Israeli culture part of my life. I want to continue to constantly be immersed within the culture all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so proud of you and all you have accomplished! but its time to come home. like seriously. i miss you.

    ReplyDelete