Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Women of Israel Kick Butt

Hey Everyone!

I have a pretty cool woman to tell you about today.

Rania Okby is a prime example of a woman standing up to her community and tradition and showing the world who's boss.

Okby, a Bedouin Israeli, was the first Bedouin women to ever earn a medical degree. She did so several years ago, graduating from Ben-Gurion University. She and her mother both took major strides in the Bedouin community. Her mother divorced her father when he tried to marry a second wife. Okby was raised by her single mother and she stood out in her community.

Okby took strides in becoming a world, female leader in her field. I admire her greatly. Being a doctor is no small feat, and she accomplished it when she had no precedent in her community.

For the last ten minutes I've been trying to think of a way to make this blog longer, mainly with a reason as to why I look up to Okby. However, I can't say that I look up to her for any more reasons than I look up to other leading females. She did break the status quo, but so have so many other women in the world. I think it's really awesome that she gets special recognition, and even more awesome that she's a Bedouin. But to be honest, all of these women are awesome!! The world is finally starting to see that women can do everything that men can. So I look up to all of these women, Okby included.

I really hope that I can make a difference in the world too, and maybe someday be on a "Women of the World" list on some NY Times article.

Until next time,
Shoshana :)

No comments:

Post a Comment