Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Saturday Memories

Earlier this week I shared my Friday night Shabbat experience with all of you. However, that was only Friday night. Saturday was even more incredible.

One of the best parts of the day was definitely, definitely sleeping in. Instead of our usual 7:15 wake up, I got to sleep all the way to 9:30. It was incredible.

But the day got so much better. After services, where I was yet again reminded of camp memories, I had a wonderful Shabbat lunch. Lunch was good, but not as quite as exciting the Kotel. Yea that big wall that everyone visits. Sort of cool. I guess.

The Kotel, also known as the Western or Wailing Wall is always a different experience. This is the 5th time I had gone to the Kotel. Last time, this past summer, I felt an amazing connection to the Wall, and when I began walking back, I was completely satisfied with my experience. That is until I get a 10 minute lecture from an old Jewish woman on my attire (which, by the way, was completely appropriate). Luckily, this time I didn’t get a scorning, but I also didn’t feel as great as a connection.

I did look at the Wall in a different light, though. Usually, I attempt to make a religious connection. This time, though, I truly felt a connection to my past. This was the place that Jews thousands of years ago came to pray! This wasn’t a mythical place. It was standing there right in front me. Realizing that, was, frankly, mind blowing.

Seeing my friends’ reactions was amazing as well. For many of my friends here, this was their first time going to the Wall. Going for the first time at this age definitely has its benefits. You have learned about the Wall for years, understood its importance and have had years of waiting. Watching my friends cry and connect with this ancient structure, made me realize how amazing this trip is. It’s giving so many people the opportunity to align themselves with their Judaism and history.

The night wasn’t over yet. We headed to the HUC for a Debbie Friedman memorial concert. I consider Debbie Friedman and her music to be the primary reason that I continue to practice and participate in Judaism. So, I obviously love her music. We sang, danced, celebrated, and commemorated her music and legend. The ruach (spirit) of the room was amazing. And a great side note: Emily Schwartz, a former OSRUI song leader, was at the concert as part of the HUC choir. It was wonderful to see everyone share and celebrate Debbie’s music.

But the night still wasn’t over!! We headed over to the Mamillah Mall in Jerusalem. For the concert, a few teens from EIE were able to bring their guitars and lead some songs at the concert. At the mall, which is outdoors, they set up their guitars and laid out one of the cases for money. After shopping for awhile, everyone who wasn’t playing guitar formed a circle around them and sang with them. Singing “One Day” in a huge circle, with random Israelis gathering around us to watch was simply awe-inspiring.

We kept the ruach going on the bus ride home, as my friend Ethan and I got the entire bus to start singing random songs. We did everything from Britney to Queen to Grease. It was great to see all these new friends, of only one week, come together and bond.

It was an amazing night that I never wanted to end.


Thanks for reading!
Shoshana J

1 comment:

  1. And yet, the first time I took you to a Debbie concert you gave my such grief. See, you aren't the only one to hold a grudge : ). I'm so glad your first Shabbat was so amazing and that the music of my youth and camp, continues to mean so much to you.

    ReplyDelete