Friday, February 7, 2014

Equality

Recently, Rabbi Harcszatrk, a modern Orthodox rabbi at SAR High School, permitted a couple of girls to wrap tefillin. This is a practice, that for years, has been only for men. Allowing girls to do so in a religious setting is absurd to many more observant Jews and has caused quite a stir.

But come on, its 2014. Such a cliche line but so true. I understand the Habadnikcim not appreciating this change, as they don't stray from tradition...ever. But the entire Modern Orthodox community should get over it. I am not a "super ultra, no shave, boo men" feminist, but I will definitely preach equality. Women can vote now, women wear kippot (at least in the Conservative and Reform communities), work, and often provide the main income for a family. So why cant we observe religion the same way? Its not like women are less religious, less observant, less worthy of God's love, or even less capable of loving God. So why not let them demonstrate their love of God and their faith? Why restrict someone from loving and praying to God, especially if it's the same way you do?

I understand where the other side is coming from, though. Tradition, halachah. But I don't know if I cant respect a tradition that doesn't support total equality.

Shabbat Shalom,
Shoshana :)  

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with your opinion on this issue! I think if you consider yourself a modern orthodox Jew you need to be able to change traditions to fit in with modern society. Personally what I think makes a tradition is repeating that tradition on a regular basics but changing it slightly every time in order to fit in with your life and the society around you. As a reform Jewish girl I feel 100% equal to men therefore I am strongly bothered by the fact that in Orthodox tradition women and men are not equal. I am so happy that SAR High School is seeing how society works and is open to changing tradition to fit in with society.

    ReplyDelete