Saturday, February 1, 2014

First Shabbat

Today is Shabbat. Last night, we all shared in a Kabbalat Shabbat service, ate, and met some Israelis that live on the Kibbutz. Afterwards, a few of us went back to my friends room and just hing out. It was a great way to spend our first Shabbat in the holy land. This morning we had, what I thought, were lovely services.
So during Friday night services, we sang a few songs that I hadn’t heard since camp (Chaulitzim 2012!!). Me and the fellow OSRUI-ites kept looking at each other and doing the small hand motions and verbal add-ins. It was great to see the other camps do their own traditions too. But something about services this morning had me so incredibly nostalgic. We began singing Oseh Shalom (the one with “Oseh! Shalom!” in between the chorus). I hadn’t heard that song in 2 years. It was the middle of the service, everyone was still participating but with much less spirit. But as soon as that song started playing, I literally jumped in seat and began singing aloud. Not gonna lie, I almost started crying simply form the memories and love that are instilled in that song.
So for all of your from OSRUI that are reading this, I miss you guys and can’t wait to be back with my family this summer (fingers crossed I get in).


Shoshana J

4 comments:

  1. you're amazing! i'm so so so happy you're enjoying your time in the holy land. behave in jerusalem and keep posting. much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part about Shabbat in Jerusalem is seeing people from all over the world sing the same tunes. Hope you're enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is my favorite thing ever! I love when we are in services and we start singing a version that brings me back to NFTY memories.

    ReplyDelete