Monday, February 17, 2014

Religious Priority

Hi all!
I’m entering my 4th week here! So if I didn’t already mention, as part of my Jewish History class, we’re required to blog on certain subjects throughout the week. Therefore, on top of my normal “catching up” blogs, I’ll also be including analyses and reflections of our class discussions and on articles that we are assigned in class.

Today in class, we discussed the integration of Hellenistic culture into Jewish society. We took the discussion to modern times, questioning when to prioritize Jewish events/traditions/customs over your normal life.
Growing up in my family, going to Jewish Day School for nine years, going to camp, going to services, and more, it has become my belief that certain customs and holidays you must participate in.  These include holidays/events such as Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur, and Passover Seder. Now personally, I try to attend these plus observe some parts of Simchat Torah, Sukkot, Purim, Chanukkah, plus Friday night services every few weeks. Naturally, a lot of these observances began with the enforcement from my parents but I grew to love and appreciate them. But I understand if not every Jew will follow these other traditions.

Now some Jews might accuse me, asking how I can even judge those who don’t attend those mandatory services, if I play music on Shabbat, or I don’t go to Shabbat services every week. Honestly, because I feel comfortable and confident in my Judaism and Jewish identity not to.
In class, we shared stories about conflicts we've had where we had to choose either a secular or religious activity/service. I can easily understand wanting to miss a family Shabbat dinner or Shabbat service for a sleepover, etc. I honestly don’t mean to offend anyone, which is why I didn’t voice my opinion too loudly in class, but missing Rosh Hashana or Yom Kippur services for a game or a show is appalling to me. I understand that they can be boring, and maybe even make you resent your Judaism, but it’s they’re the holiest holidays. Whether you like it or not, those are two holidays in which there is no excuse to miss (except of course health reasons). In fact, my family didn’t go to a part of High Holiday services a couple years ago for health reasons. But we gathered around, a bit before sundown, downloaded the iShofar app (yes, it’s a thing), and heard the sounds of the Shofar.

I just can’t see how one can call themselves a dedicated Jew if they aren't attending the most sacred services. I love Jew camp and youth group as much as the next girl, but simply attending those events does not in fact make you a good Jew. I said earlier that I’m comfortable missing some observances due to my sense of Jewish identity. One might argue that they are comfortable with theirs without going to high holidays. It’s a fair point, but I bring it back to the fact that the High Holidays are THE High Holidays. Again, I’m sorry if I’m offending anyone, I usually try to show my bias is a more relaxed tone, but some of the stories in class today really agitated me.

Lastly, I noticed writing this, that this idea of religious priority takes a less liberal view than I’m used to. Some ignorant people might even say “un-Reform of me”, but I did grow up in an environment where holidays and services were mandatory. Whether it be my family or school’s influence, I stand firm on my view now.

FYI we’re going on Gadna later this week! That is a short, less than a week, army training program that many Israeli high schoolers take part in. I can’t wait to tell you all about it!

Thanks for reading!

Shoshana J

No comments:

Post a Comment